Thursday, 4 July 2013

Interview with Loretta Laird- Author of The Passers




Hello Loretta and thank you so much for joining me on my blog.

Congratulations on your first published works. How does it feel?

Well, Tamsin it has all been rather a whirlwind and I have been left, on the other side of it, not really knowing what to do next. It was fantastic to see my name in print and the book that I had written ‘out there’ on the line! When my first review went ‘live’ I skipped around the room, screaming with joy! (My children think I am quite mad).
I was then left with the thought that I’d really better get on with the next book. Reality took over then.
I am very grateful to Steam eReads for loving my book, they have now given me another contract for a short Christmas story called, ‘An Upside-down Christmas.’ I love writing and I hope that I can carry on with it for years to come.

Tell me about your novel 'The passers.'

The Passers is a fantasy romance set in the mythical world of Fellnesia. It begins when an Air princess is rescued by a handsome Passer. The resulting child, of this union, is a young girl called Jadara. Her destiny is to defeat the evil Greenflack and reclaim her birthright. She is aided by a group of nomadic warriors known as the Passers. Their role in Fellnesia is to assist with the passing of souls at the time of death. This talent was gifted to them by the ancient freegan, a powerful mix of dragon and phoenix. The freegan are now in danger and reach out to Jadara to save them from their cruel enslavement. Can Jadara achieve her quest without falling prey to the evil will of Greenflack or the roguish charms of a young Passer named, Adamen?

What was your inspiration for the plot and the characters?

I love to read romance and fantasy and often end up in the teen fiction section of the library to find a fantasy tale. My romance fix would often come from historical stories. I decided that I yearned to read something that combined the two so I wrote something that I wanted to read. The story just grew from there and each new day the characters would just go their own way with me as their scribe. I really started at the beginning then wrote from there. After I thought I had finished, I gave my draft to a critical friend – one I knew would be honest – and she made suggestions of ways I could develop the characters. I then added in extra chapters to give the opinions of some of the minor characters, providing them with back stories. Often I would wake up in the night with a reason why a character had acted as they did. I took to keeping a notebook beside my bed. It was all great fun and I loved doing it.

This is a trilogy I believe. Tell me about the stories yet to come.

I have finished Book 2 – The Change. It was hard to think of a plot for this as some of the success of the first book is the chemistry between the two main characters building. When they are together, there can be great sex but the tension is gone. I decided to separate them so there is an abduction and a time apart. This made the reunion so much sweeter.
In The Change, Jadara is faced with a land divided. The elements of Earth, Air and Water distrust one another and it is her task to unite them. She faces more opposition as the kin-chiefs decide this, as queen, she should take a mate from each kin. To buy time, Jadara comes up with a tournament. From the champions she would choose her mate. She now has until the Moon of the Crops to find Adamen and root out the poison that seeks to destroy Fellnesia.
Book 3 is a work in progress. This book is taking me on a totally different journey. I am writing this with excerpts all over the place. It twists and turns and I hope will come together in the end.
Passing On is the story of Erix, son of Jadara and Adamen. His time has come to join the Passers but is he ready to step up to his own birthright? With the help of his mentor, Roughier and his cousin, Verdily maybe he will become the leader he is destined to be.

Thank you so much for sharing and please share a juicy excerpt of you new book

Thank you for having me Tamsin. Here is one of my favourite scenes, the one where the two finally become one. Hope you enjoy it...


Jadara’s sleep was all too soon disturbed by unpleasant dreams of the raven-haired Em. He was pacing around her grandmother’s house. In her slumber, Jadara heard the voice of Drew calling to her for help.
“I will return,” called Jadara. “I will come back for you.”
With a start, Jadara’s eyes flew open. She gasped as she saw the muscled form of Adamen leaning lazily on the frame of the bed chamber, regarding her with a satisfied gleam. He seemed larger than usual in the confined space of the tree dwelling and his manliness was hard to ignore.
“Troubled slumber, Princess?”
“I... I... dreamed about home.”
****
Her frank answer impressed him and her openness touched his heart. He did not deny that he had enjoyed the few minutes spent watching her. Concerned by her obvious distress, his instinct had been to scoop her up and comfort her in his protective arms. Alas, his thoughts then turned to carnal images of what he would do next. The lure of the bed next to her only encouraged his vivid fantasy. Adamen observed with amusement the change in Jadara’s breathing. He had had enough women interested in him to read the signs of arousal and knew from experience that he could just reach out and pull this beautiful she-mate into his practised embrace. The thought made him ache for her in his loins. His duty seemed to pale in significance as their two souls reached out to find each other.
****
Jadara squirmed under his scrutiny, aware of his smouldering eyes and taut body. She stood up, eager to avoid the vulnerability she felt looking up at him from the seat. Now there were two of them in the enclosed space and their bodies were just inches apart. Jadara allowed herself to imagine how Adamen’s arms would feel under the soft touch of her fingertips, how she could run her hands across his muscled chest. Her breathing became heavier as she let her mind wander to places lower on his body, imagining what she might find there.
Jadara stretched out a tentative hand and heard a low throaty growl from the warrior before her. Urged on by his passion, she touched the solid wall of his chest as a responding moan escaped her lips. Adamen lowered his head and his lips possessed hers. Fire leapt through her body and a heady glow filled her core. Her mouth responded instinctively to his and she moved her lips with a furnace of passion inciting her on. Adamen appeared delighted by her primeval ardour and began to lower his head to trace a trail of burning kisses down to her breast. His hand grasped her thigh and crushed her wanton body against the timber wall behind. Jadara dug her nails into his back, climbing up his solid frame and wrapping her legs tightly around his waist. If she could have climbed inside him she would gladly have done it. Adamen was not sure how long his resolve would last as he lifted his head to gaze down into the amber eyes, flecked with sparks of desire.


Contacts:




No comments:

Post a Comment